The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has awarded Argonne National Laboratory up to $120 million over five years to establish a Batteries and Energy Storage Hub. Known as the Joint Center for Energy Storage Research (JCESR), the facility will bring together five of the DOE's national laboratories, five universities and four private companies to research and develop advanced battery technologies. Argonne National Laboratory will lead the team of researchers.
A new facility for the research center will be built on the Argonne National Laboratory campus in Chicago, IL.
Besides Argonne National Laboratory, other members of the research center will include:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Sandia National Laboratories
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
- Northwestern University
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
- University of Michigan
- Dow Chemical Company
- Applied Materials Inc.
- Johnson Controls Inc.
- Clean Energy Trust
Read the full article to learn more.