Komatsu America Corp., a leading global heavy equipment manufacturer, introduces the new WA470-8 wheel loader. With a 272 hp Komatsu SAA6D125E-7 variable-geometry, turbo-charged and after-cooled Tier 4 Final certified engine, the wheel loader uses up to 6% less fuel than its Tier 4 Interim predecessor. The WA470-8 is a utility performer featuring Komatsu’s SmartLoader Logic, combined with a lockup torque converter that activates in second, third and fourth gears. Working together, the system provides optimal engine torque for improved acceleration, hill climbing, a higher top speed and fuel savings.
“The WA470-8 has an outstanding combination of stability, break out power and tractive effort,” says Rob McMahon, Komatsu America Product Manager. “Whether you’re moving gravel, transporting pipe, charging hoppers or working with landscape materials or aggregates, the WA470-8 is the machine you want on your worksite. Available machine attachments specifically adapted for logging and waste handling applications extend the machine’s versatility.”
Komatsu designed the machine’s Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and other aftertreatment components in conjunction with the engine for efficiency and long life. A Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) assembly further reduces NOx emissions using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF). The engine uses an advanced electronic control system to manage the air-flow rate, fuel injection, combustion parameters and aftertreatment functions to optimize performance, reduce emissions and provide advanced diagnostic capability.
In-cab enhancements and features include:
- New, air-suspension, high-back heated seat that softens machine vibrations for operator comfort and cast frame members for increased strength.
- Seat-mounted electronic pilot control levers with F-N-R switch for operator convenience and reduced fatigue.
- Pioneering KOMTRAX telematics system and monitor that provides key machine metrics, including KDPF status and DEF-level data, fuel consumption, plus performance information collected and sorted by operator ID.
- Komatsu Auto-Idle Shutdown to reduce idle time and save fuel.
- Auxiliary jack and two 12V ports.
- A 7-inch, full color, high resolution monitor with Ecology Guidance.
- Separate full-color, rear-view monitor comes standard.
Additional Features and Benefits
- Swing out cooling fan with wider fin spacing and standard auto-reversing fan for ease of cleaning.
- Gull-wing engine doors provide quick, convenient access for daily checks and service items.
- Full rear fenders are standard.
- Sight gauge at DEF fill cap to minimize overfilling.
- Additional hinged panels at each side for easy access to regeneration components.
The WA470-8 and every other Komatsu Tier 4 Final construction-sized machine, whether rented, leased or purchased, is covered by the Komatsu CARE program for the first three years or 2,000 hours, whichever comes first. Komatsu CARE includes scheduled factory maintenance, a 50-point inspection at each service, up to two complimentary KDPF exchanges and up to two DEF tank flushes in the first five years. With select labor, fluids and filters covered by Komatsu over this period, Komatsu CARE lowers ownership costs, raises resale value and improves equipment uptime and availability.