The recent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) SmartWay verification of three Goodyear truck tire retreads – the G316 AT Fuel Max, the G572 LHD Fuel Max and the G305 ATS Fuel Max – is another example of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company’s ongoing commitment to fuel efficiency.
The EPA established low rolling resistance requirements for retreaded truck tires this year. Verified low rolling resistance retreaded tires must help reduce truck fuel consumption by at least 3%, according to the EPA.
“Use of Goodyear’s SmartWay-verified G316 AT Fuel Max, G572 LHD Fuel Max and G305 ATS Fuel Max retreaded tires will provide multiple benefits to fleets and owner-operators,” says Brian Buckham, brand manager, line haul and mixed service, Goodyear Commercial Tire Systems. (Currently, nine Goodyear brand new truck tires, as well as three Dunlop brand new truck tires, have received SmartWay verification.)
“Our SmartWay-verified retread products will help fleets and owner-operators comply with California Air Resources Board regulations,” he says. “This is important for any fleet or owner-operator that runs trucks inCalifornia.
“In addition, the energy-efficient compounds found in these high-technology products will help all fleets – regardless of where they operate – reduce their fuel intake. And the G316 AT Fuel Max, G572 LHD Fuel Max and the G305 ATS Fuel Max are great all-around products that offer a wide range of performance benefits beyond their outstanding fuel efficiency.”
The G316 AT Fuel Max retread’s features include:
- A cool-running compound designed to help deliver low rolling resistance;
- Two wide circumferential grooves and lateral grooves to help deliver all-season performance on wet, snowy or dry roads;
- A solid shoulder rib to help minimize shoulder wear for many miles to removal, and more.
The G316 AT Fuel Max is available as a precure retread in 8-, 8.5-, 8.75-, and 9-inch tread widths. It also is available as a Goodyear UniCircle product in the following sizes – 295/75R22.5, 11R22.5 and 285/75R24.5 – in both 8.5- and 9-inch widths.
Features of the G572 LHD Fuel Max include:
- Fuel-saving compounds to help promote energy efficiency;
- Deep 26/32-inch tread depth for enhanced wearable rubber to help promote more miles to removal;
- Goodyear’s Tredlock Technology, which contains interlocking microgrooves that help stabilize the tread for long wear and enhanced toughness;
- Circumferential and lateral grooves to help provide all-season traction;
- An extra-wide tread that helps provide enhanced handling.
The G572 LHD Fuel Max is available as a precure product in 8.5-, 8.875-, and 9.25-inch tread widths. (UniCircle fitments also will be available soon.)
In addition to an enhanced fuel-efficient compound, the G305 ATS Fuel Max boasts the following features:
- A staggered tread block design to help promote energy efficiency;
- A closed-shoulder design to help promote uniform wear throughout the retread’s life;
- Large, stable blocks to help enhance fuel efficiency and even wear;
- Circumferential and lateral grooves to help deliver all-season traction.
The G305 ATS Fuel Max is available as a precure retread in 8.5-, 8.75-, and 9-inch tread widths. (UniCircle fitments also will be available soon.)
The G316 AT Fuel Max, the G572 LHD Fuel Max and the G305 ATS Fuel Max are part of Goodyear’s complete line of fuel-efficient new truck tires and retreads, many of which feature the company’s Fuel Max Technology.
Fuel Max tires feature cool-running compounds and constructions that help improve miles per gallon for optimized fuel savings, according to Buckham.
“The fuel-efficient properties of our Fuel Max tires help fleets and owner-operators optimize their fuel investment,” he explains. (To see Goodyear’s full line-up of Fuel Max truck tires, click here.)
“Our retread products are designed and built to deliver great benefits,” says Buckham. “The G316 AT Fuel Max, the G572 LHD Fuel Max and G305 ATS Fuel Max are prime examples of this.”
Moving forward, he said that Goodyear plans to submit more truck tire retreads for SmartWay verification, calling SmartWay compliance “an important part of our long-term strategy and an example of our ceaseless focus on helping our customers lower their total cost of operation.”