Engineers, OEMs and integrators have struggled for years to balance the cost of PLCs with their I/O needs, and Turck's new ARGEE technology solves this challenge. ARGEE empowers manufacturers to add logic to compatible I/O devices without a PLC, driving down the cost per I/O point and increasing flexibility in control.
The ARGEE environment is accessible via an HTML5-compatible web browser, which eliminates the need for complex third-party software or licensing that is common with PLCs. Inside the ARGEE environment, users can set condition and action statements to be carried out by the I/O device. The application's intuitive design includes a flow chart - similar to ladder logic - which allows for easy programming by users of all experience levels.
By taking advantage of ARGEE on Turck's multiprotocol Ethernet I/O devices, manufacturers are able to realize a better control solution - field logic controllers (FLC).
FLCs benefit small to mid-size OEMs and manufacturers who are looking to add logic without investing in a PLC. FLCs can be used in one of three ways:
- The FLC stands alone: The FLC performs all logic as a standalone application without a PLC
- The FLC backs up the PLC: If the FLC loses communication with the PLC, the FLC can take over and either shut down or maintain the process.
- The FLC and the PLC work together: The FLC can monitor an application and send defined variables and updates back to the PLC.
"With FLC powered by ARGEE, engineers can add control capabilities and I/O points to applications without having to invest in or upgrade a PLC," says Randy Durick, Vice President of Fieldbus Technology at Turck. "Because the I/O devices carry advanced ingress ratings, logic can move outside the panel and onto machines for local control and real-time performance monitoring."
Specific features of ARGEE include:
- Toggling bits, the utilization of timers and counters, performing arithmetic functions, monitoring of program status via the built-in HMI capabilities and communicating with an upper level PLC
- HTML5-based programing, which makes the environment accessible on any device via capable web browsers such as Chrome and Firefox
- Integration with digital, analog, IO-Link, RFID, and specialty I/O types
ARGEE technology is standard in all Turck multiprotocol Ethernet I/O devices. These devices can be used on any PROFINET, Modbus TCP, or EtherNet/IP platform, and include the TBEN-L/TBEN-S on-machine block I/O, BL compact on-machine flexible block I/O, and FEN20 in-cabinet block I/O.