Custom Products of Litchfield Inc. (Custom Products) has achieved the one million pound applied load milestone—a new company high—at the company’s ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accredited Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) test lab. Custom Products conducted the record-setting test this week as part of a customer’s proprietary testing standard on a trenching vehicle. The ROPS module passed all seven individual load applications of force, each exceeding one million pounds.
The lab can accommodate vehicles up to 500,000 pounds GVW (gross vehicle weight) and tests various protective structures used with off-highway equipment, including Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS), Falling Object Protective Structures (FOPS) and Operator Protective Structures (OPS). Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) work with Custom Products for design, manufacture and testing of cabs and OPS, as well as contract testing to multiple national, international and company specific standards, including:
- ANSI: American National Standards Institute
- ASABE: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- BS: British Standards
- CEN: European Committee for Standardization
- ISO: International Organization for Standardization
- MSHA: Mine Safety and Health Administration
- OSHA: Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers
- CSA: Canadian Standards Association
In the 1970s, Custom Products added testing capabilities as standards were first evolving. The current 1,500 square foot, state-of-the-art, zero-degree testing lab was built in 2005 and has performed more than 738 tests to ensure operator safety in off-highway equipment.