Oshkosh Corporation Fire & Emergency segment, including Oshkosh Airport Products, Pierce Manufacturing, and Frontline Communications, announces it has introduced the Volterra platform of electric vehicles for the fire and emergency market.
In recent years, airports worldwide have made green initiatives an integral priority, compelling fire departments to seek environmentally-conscious fire apparatus that reduce emissions, minimize fuel consumption, and produce less noise.
“Category leading innovations, grounded with direct input from our customers, is a hallmark of each of the brands in the Oshkosh Fire & Emergency Segment. It’s all about serving the needs of first responders,” said Jim Johnson, Oshkosh Corporation executive vice president and president of Fire & Emergency. “Our electric vehicles designed around Oshkosh proprietary and patented technology will provide the environmental benefits fire departments request, without having to compromise on the leading-edge operational performance, functionality, safety attributes, customization, and the traditional configurations and styling customers expect from our fire apparatus.”
Based on Oshkosh proprietary technology, the new Striker Volterra performance Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) has been developed to meet the growing emergency response and environmentally-conscious needs among airports of all sizes.
Available on the 4x4 and 6x6 chassis platforms, the Striker Volterra performance hybrid delivers unmatched chassis performance, advanced safety systems, innovative fire suppression technology, and unsurpassed reliability and durability.
Striker Volterra 6x6 Vehicle Configuration
The new Stiker Volterra 6x6 features a modular cab design with:
- Center steer driving position
- Industry-leading forward visibility
- Ergonomic control placement
- Seating capacity for five
Additional features of the vehicle include:
- TAK-4 all-wheel independent suspension
- 50 ft. (15.2 m) Snozzle HRET with Oshkosh K-Factor piercing tip alignment system
- 3,170 gal. (12,000 L) water tank
- 444 gal. (1,680 L) foam tank
- 2,000 gpm (7,570 lpm) water pump
- 550 lb. (225 kg) dry chemical powder system
- Scania DC13 engine
- Oshkosh power divider
The Striker Volterra hybrid electric vehicle enables reduced-emissions operation through:
- An Oshkosh patented hybrid-electric drivetrain featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission allows zero-emissions operation when powered by the integrated onboard batteries, and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system
- Faster acceleration: setting a new standard for performance, the Striker Volterra is capable of achieving 28% improved acceleration when fully loaded, resulting in a quickened response time
- Idle reduction for up to one hour of zero-emissions standby using onboard energy storage
- Zero-emission driving during entry and exit of the fire station using onboard energy storage
- Available Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) options for further electric vehicle driving capabilities
Custom-engineered and extensively tested to deliver rapid response while simultaneously reducing its carbon footprint, the new Striker Volterra performance hybrid is fully compliant to NFPA 414 and ICAO standards while being certified to off-highway EPA and EU regulations.
During the next several months, the Striker Volterra performance hybrid will be showcased at airports across the United States, giving firefighters the opportunity to experience first-hand the revolutionary Volterra technology.
First electric fire truck in service in North America
In addition to Oshkosh Airport Products introduction of the Striker Volterra hybrid electric vehicle, Pierce has placed its first Volterra zero-emissions pumper in service with the City of Madison, WI, Fire Department’s Station 8, making it the first electric fire truck in service in North America.
City of Madison’s Pierce Volterra Electric Vehicle Configuration:
- Enforcer custom chassis
- Expanded occupant space and visibility
- Seating capacity for six
- GVWR: 42,000 lb.
- TAK-4 Independent Front Suspension
- 1,500 gpm single stage pump
- 500-gal. water tank
- Compartmentation: 150 cu. ft. plus ladder storage
- Hose capacity: 1,000 ft. of 5 in./850 ft. of 2.5 in.
- 155 kW hour battery pack to meet the City of Madison’s daily duty cycle
The Pierce Volterra electric vehicle enables zero-emissions operation utilizing:
- An Oshkosh patented parallel-electric drivetrain featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission allows zero-emissions operation when powered by the integrated onboard batteries, and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system
- Exceptional operational range tailored to the fire department’s needs and duty cycle for full-shift operation
- Fire station-based, all-encompassing vehicle charging infrastructure provided by an established nationwide energy supplier offers a thorough, simple, and fast charging solution
In partnership with the City of Madison Fire Department, Pierce will continue the final development, evaluation, and on-highway certification process for the Pierce Volterra electric vehicle.
“Oshkosh has been developing electric drives and vehicles for over 25 years, which will continue to be a critical part of our Fire & Emergency Segment’s vision for a more sustainable future,” said Johnson. “Our Volterra platform of electric vehicles reduces emissions, supports lowering total cost of ownership, and increases performance for first responders. We look forward to introducing the vehicles to fire departments around the world and will closely monitor operator feedback and opportunities for further vehicle enhancements.”