WABCO Holdings Inc. has released its OnCity Urban Turning Assist system to help protect pedestrians and cyclists in city traffic.
- Single-sensor collision avoidance system which uses LiDAR technology for object detection
- For trucks, buses and tractor-trailers
- Features wide field-of-view, up to 180 degrees
- Uses single sensor for safety monitoring of road users located on vehicle’s blindside
- Detects and distinguishes moving and stationary objects, including pedestrians and cyclists
- Visually and acoustically alerts driver regarding potential collision with unprotected road users both right before and during a turning maneuver
- Can autonomously apply brake to prevent collisions should driver fail to take corrective action
- Performs reliably with high precision during nighttime, in blinding sunshine and even in low visibility conditions
- According to a 2013 report issued by a major truck manufacturer based in Europe, more than 20,000 vulnerable road users are injured or die annually due to collisions with commercial vehicles in cities across Europe.