Volvo Construction Equipment (Volvo CE) will debut two new asphalt paver models for its North American line-up at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020 – the P5110B tracked and P5170B wheeled pavers. Built for both heavy commercial and light highway tasks, the machines offer easy maintenance and strong performance coupled with serious fuel savings.
“The P5110B and P5170B give contractors a new heavy eight-foot size class option, meeting demand for mid-size pavers that fall between our existing P4410B and 7000B series models,” says Bill Laing, Product Manager, Road Products at Volvo CE. “We also integrated adaptive Volvo engine speed technology into the 5000 series to give high productivity at a very low 1200 rpm. This results in lower operating costs day in, day out.”
PERFORMANCE IS KEY
The 5000B series is powered by the latest Volvo D6 Tier 4 Final engine, the same engine used in high production models like the Volvo L60H-L90H wheel loaders. Engine speed, torque and fuel consumption are optimized to provide the best performance and fuel efficiency, averaging 3.7 gph for the 5110B and 3.3 gph for the 5170B. Additionally, the Volvo engines have low vibration and extremely quiet operation, around 79.2 dBa.
The P5110B and P5170B pavers are fitted with a large capacity hopper to ensure continuous paving, while durable rolled wings help prevent material build-up and cut cleaning time. Once loaded, sonic sensors regulate the flow and delivery of material. The P5170B also has the option of front wheel assist for added traction and grade-ability.
Both models come with an UltiMat160 screed, which features extensions that can adjust paving width hydraulically from 8 up to 16 ft. The screed’s front-mounted extension supports head-of-material control in the auger channel, further ensuring a quality finish. The screed’s optional bolt-on extensions provide high quality paving up to 18 ft. wide. They can also be added or removed quickly, thanks to Volvo’s quick coupling system.
These models also simplify serviceability thanks to ground-level access to common service areas, filters, hydraulic test ports and fuel/DEF tanks. Greaseless bearings in the auger and conveyor and wear parts in the hopper that are easy to access and replace also make servicing these machines easy.
SUPPORT YOU CAN COUNT ON
The P5110B tracked paver and P5170B wheeled paver are backed by the Volvo Lifetime Frame and Structure Warranty, which covers the tractor frame on both machines and the track frame on the P5110B for the entirety of the initial period of ownership. They also come with one year of ActiveCare Direct®, Volvo’s advanced telematics service that provides 24/7/365 active machine monitoring and fleet utilization reporting.
THE DETAILS MATTER
Other features that support productivity and efficiency include:
- Standard three-phase AC power screed heating system – fast screed heat up times with a lower amperage requirement from the generator.
- Low deck height – allows for safer and easier communication between crew and operators.
- Priming function – raises engine speed, runs the conveyors and augers, and provides material to the screed.
- Screed lock – holds the screed in place until new material is introduced, avoiding marks or bumps in the mat.
- Simple controls – grouped by function and backlit for easy identification.
- Operator comfort – the fumes extraction system directs smoke and fumes away from the operators.
- Automatic track tensioners – ensure correct track tensioning for performance and durability.