Komatsu America Corp. introduces the PC290LC-10 hydraulic excavator. With a flywheel horsepower of 196 hp (147 kW), the PC290LC-10 is powered by a Komatsu SAA6D107E-2 engine and is EPA Tier 4 Interim and EU Stage 3B emissions certified. Built upon a proven Tier 3 engine platform, Komatsu has leveraged its leadership in technology and innovation to design an environmentally friendly engine that increases power while decreasing fuel consumption.
Weighing in at 68,000 pounds (30,844 kg), the PC290LC-10 features improved hydraulic efficiency, improved operator comfort, easier maintenance, and improved performance to maximize productivity and minimize operating costs.
The PC290LC-10 is equipped with the latest KOMTRAX technology, which sends machine operating information to a secure website utilizing wireless technology. Data such as operating hours, location, cautions and maintenance alerts are relayed to the web application for analysis. The KOMTRAX fleet monitoring system monitors machine availability, reduces the risk of machine theft, allows for remote diagnosis by the distributor, and provides a wealth of other information to drive business efficiency.
Special features of the new PC290LC-10 include:
- EPA Tier 4 Interim and EU Stage 3B Emissions Certified Engine Built upon proven Tier 3 technology, the SAA6D107 engine provides increased horsepower while lowering fuel consumption. The Komatsu Tier 4 Interim engine uses an advanced electronic control system to manage airflow rate, fuel injection, combustion parameters, and aftertreatment functions to optimize performance, reduce emissions, and provide advanced diagnostic capability. As a leader in hydraulic technology, Komatsu has also developed a hydraulically actuated Variable Geometry Turbocharger (KVGT) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve, resulting in better precision and air management as well as longer component life. The Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) has an integrated design that will not interfere with daily operation but will keep the operator aware of its status.
- Highly Efficient Hydraulic System All major components on the new PC290LC-10 including the engine, hydraulic pumps, motors and valves are exclusively designed and manufactured by Komatsu. This integrated design uses a closed center load sensing hydraulic system that has taken hydraulic efficiency to the next level using variable speed matching. Variable matching allows the engine speed to adjust based on the hydraulic pump output for both light and heavy-duty applications. Additional enhancements have been made within the hydraulic system to reduce hydraulic loss, resulting in increased hydraulic efficiency and lower fuel consumption.
- Enhanced Operator Environment The new cab provides a comfortable and quiet work environment so operators can maximize their productivity. The ROPS certified cab is specifically designed for hydraulic excavators and gains strength from a reinforced pipe-structured framework. The cab is mounted on viscous damper mounts, which provide low vibration levels. The interior cab decibel level has been decreased to 70 dB(A). The high-back, fully adjustable seat uses air suspension and is heated for improved comfort. An auxiliary input has been added to connect an MP3 player or other device that uses a standard auxiliary plug, along with two 12-volt ports that have also been incorporated into the cab. A new high resolution 7 in. LCD monitor features enhanced capabilities and displays information in 25 languages for global support. The operator can easily select up to five working modes of operation to match machine performance to the application. These working modes include Power Mode, Economy Mode, Heavy Lift Mode, Breaker Mode, and Attachment Mode. The new monitor panel also provides operational guidance, operational records, fuel consumption history, and utilization information while a standard rearview camera allows the operator to view directly behind the machine.
- Convenient Maintenance and Serviceability The PC290LC-10 provides easy access to service locations in order to reduce costly downtime. The new model has improved handrails that surround the upper structure for easier accessibility. The radiator and hydraulic oil cooler are mounted side by side, making it simpler to maintain and service them when required. The machine is equipped with the exclusive Komatsu EMMS (Equipment Management Monitoring System) that has enhanced diagnostic features that give the operator and technicians greater monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities. EMMS also continuously monitors all critical systems, preventative maintenance and provides troubleshooting assistance to minimize diagnostic time.
- New Work Equipment Design The PC290LC-10 features a new boom and arm design to provide additional digging reach for the operator. The boom is now one foot longer than the previous design while the arm has been extended by approximately six inches. This new work equipment combination provides an additional one to two feet of digging reach. Another benefit to this work equipment design is that even though the arm is longer, the arm digging force increases over the PC270LC-8. The new boom and arm give the PC290LC-10 more capability and more power, which operators will appreciate in any application