Each year the Top New Products award winners provide insight into the components and engineering services or technologies our readers find most interesting. Winners also offer a look at some of the current trends in the heavy equipment industries, and what design teams are potentially most interested in as they develop their new machine designs.
OEM Off-Highway compiles this list of top products based on page views over the past year. One winner from each of the six main categories we cover on our website:
- Fluid Power
- Electrical & Electronics,
- Operator Cab
- Engineering & Manufacturing
As we are a quarter of the way into the year, we thought we would highlight those products currently in the running for the 2021 Top New Products award. Those in contention will be highlighted in our upcoming June/July Product Showcase issue which features nothing but products. And the final list of winners will be published in our November/December as well as Year in Review issues.
Make sure you're subscribed to receive these issues and learn the winners of this year's award as soon as they're announced!
And if you're a component manufacturer interested in submitting a product, contact email@example.com for more information.
Kohler KDI 3404TCR SCR Engine
The Kohler KDI 3404TCR SCR Engine is compact in size and features a high torque density which enables it to provide performance similar to that of engines with a larger displacement. Like the engine itself, its aftertreatment system is also compact in size and provides long average regeneration intervals which are done passively so as to reduce downtime for customers.
Features of the engine include:
- Suits use in variety of off-highway equipment applications
- Tier 4 Final version features maximum torque of 500 Nm (368.8 lb.-ft.)
- Stage V version provides maximum torque of 650 Nm (479.4 lb.-ft.)
- Counter-rotating shafts contained in the bedplate architecture provide excellent reduction of vibrations, guaranteeing operator comfort and silent operation
Yanmar 3TN86CHT and 4TN86CHT Industrial Diesel Engines
The Yanmar 3TN86CHT and 4TN86CHT diesel engines feature higher power density and a compact design to easily fit into machine designs. Lower fuel consumption and noise are also benefits Yanmar notes about these engines. Both engines are designed to meet EU Stage V and U.S. EPA/CARB Tier 4 emission regulations, as well.
Features of the engines include:
- Vertical, water-cooled, 4-cylce design
- Increased power output provided by new turbocharger matching design
- 3TN86CHT model provides 20% more power output and 4TN86CHT 14% more power than TNV models of the same displacement with intercooled turbo
JCB Stage V 448 Engine
JCB's latest EU Stage V compliant engine, the 448, is available in four power nodes from 81-129 kW (108-173 hp). A simple and flexible aftertreatment system is utilized to ease integration for OEMs.
“Driven by legislation, the market for innovative and customer focused solutions is constantly evolving and with the introduction of these latest additions to the JCB Power Systems range, we and our customers will remain at the forefront of developments," said Daniel Jackson, JCB Power Systems OEM Engine Sales and Applications Manager, in the company's press release announcing the new engine.
Features of the engine include:
- Peak torque outputs from 516-690 Nm (380.6-508.9 lb.-ft.)
- Engineered to be as small as possible
- Designed for off-highway applications in both static and mobile industrial equipment and generators
Volvo Penta D16 Stage V/Tier 4F Engine
The Stage V/Tier 4 Final D16 engine from Volvo Penta not only meets current emissions regulations but also offers a 10% reduction in fuel consumption. According to the company, this 16-L engine is designed for a range of demanding environments including mining, forestry, construction and other off-highway applications.
Features of the engine include:
- Delivers 585 kW (796 hp) of power and 3,650 Nm (2,692 lb.-ft.) peak torque at 1,900 rpm
- Dual turbo technology and efficient combustion system aid performance at high altitudes
- Delivers same performance at an altitude of 2,500 m (8,202.1 ft.) as it does at sea level
ZF BASICPOWER Transmission
According to ZF, its BASICPOWER transmission improves comfort for operators of construction equipment due to its ability to provide a high level of torque at low speeds. Intelligent and efficient shifting helps to reduce fuel consumption. Noise levels are also reduced through the updated transmission design.
Features of the transmission include:
- Available with four and six speeds, and one PTO as standard
- Offers easy maintenance as well improved total cost of ownership due to robust design
- New ERGOCONTROL II unit combines technical transmission management with hydraulic management in single on-board-unit, enabling broader and customized functionality
ZF eTRAC Electric Drive System for Wheeled Excavators
Like many manufacturers, ZF foresees electrification increasing in the off-highway equipment market, and thus continues to develop components for use in these machines. Its eTRAC electric drive system for wheeled excavators provides a 100% electric solution for OEMs. It is modular in design and consists of a 2-speed powershift transmission, electric motor and inverter.
According to the company, the system matches the performance and productivity of traditional drivelines. This helps to ensure OEMs and their customers will get the benefits of electrification while still being able to use machines as they always have.
Features of the electric drive system include:
- Compact installation space
- Can be scaled up to peak torque 850 Nm (626.9 ft.-lb.) and continuous power of 80 kW (107.3 hp)
- Modular design can easily be adapted for various vehicle applications like backhoe loaders, telehandler, forestry equipment, etc. as well
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
ZF eTRAC GP27 Dual-Motor Front Wheel Drive
ZF's eTRAC GP27 is designed to provide energy efficiency, reduced noise and improved maintenance intervals—all of which the company says is common to the eTRAC GP range of drives. This heavier duty version for trucks benefits trucks with higher lifting capacities.
Features of the dual-motor front wheel drive include:
- Dual motor acceleration for best maneuverability and smallest possible turning radius
- High efficiency due to regenerative e-braking
- Flexible vehicle interface (width, frame, wheel, mast)
ZF GK10 LD Electric Steering
The GK10 LD electric steering kit features an interface which ZF suits autonomous operation. The steering unit's hypoid toothing is designed to optimize performance as well as service life. It also requires minimal installation space, which can greatly benefit OEMs by not requiring a redesign of their machines.
Features of the electric steering unit include:
- Enables variety of ratio options in minimal installation space
- Low reaction torque due to optimized axle offset and larger wheel
- Minimum maintenance required
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Omni Powertrain Technologies Parallel Shaft Gearboxes
According to Omni Powertrain Technologies, it developed the parallel shift gearboxes to address cost, performance and packaging needs of various off-highway equipment. Helical ground gears within the component provide quiet operation, benefiting machine operator comfort.
Features of the gearboxes include:
- Provides continuous torque output from 200-3,000 Nm (147.5-2212.7 lb.-ft.)
- Offers choices in reduction ratios from 15:1 to 60:1
- Motor and gearbox combinations can be tailored to meet OEMs requirements
Omni Powertrain Technologies
Dana Heavy-Duty Drivetrain for Rough-Terrain Cranes and Terminal Tractors
Dana's Spicer 246 heavy-duty steer axle and Spicer C3300 remote torque converter provide a complete drivetrain solution for rough-terrain cranes which the company says improve gradeability and travel speeds. In addition, they are designed to provide a higher level of efficiency while also reducing operating costs.
The Spicer 246 steer axle features high integrity seals for improved performance in severe working conditions. The axle is adaptable to other applications, as well, extending its capabilities. The Spicer C3300 remote torque converter was developed specifically for rough-terrain cranes, and therefore features packaging and design optimized for this application's specific requirements.
Features of the drivetrain system include:
- For rough-terrain cranes with lift capacities from 83-110 tons (75-100 tonnes) and terminal tractors
- Improved gradeability and travel speeds
- Offers higher efficiency in the field, increased productivity, and reduced operating costs
Eaton SLV20 Load-Sensing Proportional Directional Valve
The Eaton SLV20 load-sensing proportional directional valve is designed to provide more flexibility and control than traditional cast iron control valves. According to the company, designing it in sections enables stacking of multiple functions which can greatly benefit system and overall machine designs.
“Our new SLV20 valve is a compact, lightweight solution for low-flow applications compared to a traditional cast iron sectional mobile valve, which can be large and heavy,” said Tolu Oluwatudimu, EMEA product manager, screw-in cartridge valves, Eaton, in the company's press release announcing the introduction of the valves. “The valve can help original equipment manufacturers consolidate and reduce the size of main system circuits on mini and micro platforms. It’s also an ideal solution for upgrading from manual to electrohydraulic actuation.”
Features of the valves include:
- Brings priority flow sharing to low-flow machinery with the versatility and serviceability of screw-in cartridge valves
- Utilizes Eaton’s new ESV9 four-way three-position proportional solenoid cartridge valve in a hydraulic integrated circuit concept
- Meter-out or meter-in control is achieved through logic elements, which enables flow sharing and flow prioritization in the same valve bank
Sun Hydraulics FLeX Series FREP Solenoid-Operated, 3-Way Proportional Flow Control Valve
The FREP is part of an expanding line of FLeX Series Valves, says Sun Hydraulics in its press release which announced the launch of the valve. It combines an electro-proportional adjustable orifice and pressure compensator into one valve, providing OEMs a more compact solution.
Sun Hydraulics says the valve is suited for applications in which constant actuator speed needs to be maintained regardless of the load on the actuator.
Features of the flow control valve include:
- Can provide constant priority flow rate independent of load pressures
- Provides excellent variable flow control when using a fixed-displacement pump
- Delivers precise control to orbital motors on conveyors, spinners or fans for equipment like salt spreaders, agricultural spreaders and seeders
Bosch Rexroth Pre-Compensated Valve Platform
Bosch Rexroth has designed its Pre-Compensated Valve Platform to be flexible and adaptable, making it easier for manufacturers to combine various hydraulic control valves into a single, integrated, multifunctional solution. This allows OEMs to customize it to their machine's specific performance requirements while also saving on installation space.
The company says in its press release announcing the introduction of the platform that all the valves in it support pre-compensated load-sensing capabilities that ensure the proper hydraulic flow is delivered to each function, independent of the overall loads on the hydraulic systems.
Features of the valve platform include:
- Modular control concept in which a single solution can mix multiple valves, scaled by flow and pressure requirements, and seamlessly combine basic valves with highly featured ones
- Provides cost-effective “plug and play” valve platform that fits cleanly together, with minimal need for adapter plates or custom parts
- Incorporates load-sensing capabilities that improve efficiency, freeing more hydraulic power to the implement while enabling better machine designs
Read the article "Pre-Compensated Valve Platforms Offer New Benefits in Mobile Machine Development" to learn more about the benefits this platform can provide OEM design teams.
HYDAC DW06V Pressure Sensing Valve
HYDAC's compactly designed DW06V series of pressure compensating valves provide a pressure rating of 5,000 psi (344.7 bar) and flow rates of 4 gpm (15.1 lpm).
“The release of the DWO6V pressure sensing valve at this time was strategic – the valve in and of itself is ultra compact and can handle low flow rates with astounding accuracy. When combined with the [previously released] PWK06J, optimal results are achieved with respect to both accurate delivery and impressive repeatability,” commented Gordon Dow, Design Engineering Manager for HYDAC, in the company's press release announcing the new valve. HYDAC
Features of the pressure sensing valve include:
- Variety of spring bias options available from 30-200 psi (2.1-13.8 bar)
- Full pressure may be applied to all ports
- Offers ultra-compact design for easier installation
Equipmake HTM 3500 High Torque Electric Motor
The Equipmake HTM 3500 motor is designed specifically for heavy-duty commercial vehicles, offering the high torque and low motor speed to best suite these vehicles. As it fits directly onto the propshaft of large electric vehicles, there is no need to use a separate gearbox which can help simplify designs and reduce wear points for OEMs.
This motor is available as a standalone unit or as part of Equipmake's EBus retrofit electric bus chassis. The retrofit chassis helps bus manufacturers quickly convert their vehicles to electric power.
Features of the electric motor include:
- Direct drive design negates need for separate gearbox, allowing for more efficient packaging
- Produces maximum torque of 3,500 Nm (2,581.5 lb.-ft.) at 1,000 rpm
- Designed for multiple heavy-duty vehicle applications, including electric buses, heavy-duty on-road trucks and mining equipment, where high torque and start/stop duty cycles are required
Dana TM4 SUMO HP Electric Motors and Inverters
The HV1000 and HV2500 are part of the Dana TM4 SUMO HP family of electric motors and inverters which the company has designed specifically for battery-electric, range-extended and fuel-cell vehicles. They enable direct-drive, series-hybrid or parallel-hybrid applications, providing manufacturers with the flexibility to utilize them in the way that best suites their vehicle designs.
"The demands of urban delivery trucks, city buses, long-haul trucks, and other high-power on- and off-highway vehicles require electrified solutions that meet their demanding duty cycles. A compelling combination of compact design and heavy-duty power, the TM4 SUMO HP series is precisely engineered to address the requirements of Class 6-8 commercial vehicles," said Seth Metzger, Senior Vice President of Electrification at Dana, in the company's press release announcing the launch of the motors and inverters.
Features of the motors and inverters include:
- Allows OEMs to replace internal combustion-based components without making major modifications
- Offers up to 430 kW (576.6 hp) of continuous power and 540 kW (724.2 hp) of peak power
- Peak torque value of 2,500 Nm (1,843.9 ft.-lb.)
BorgWarner HVH 320 800V Electric Motor for Commercial Vehicles
Featuring 800V capabilities, the HVH 320 is designed to power a range of hybrid and electric commercial vehicles. BorgWarner notes the electric motor is capable of delivering 97% peak efficiency over 400 kW (536.4 hp) of power.
“Using our 800V rated machine, customers can significantly reduce charging time and achieve a higher power density, enabling an even brighter future for electric trucks,” said Dr. Stefan Demmerle, President and General Manager, BorgWarner PowerDrive Systems, in BorgWarner's press release announcing the launch of the electric motor.
Features of the electric motor include:
- Modular and flexible design platform meets customers’ varied requirements
- Reaches torque output of up to 1,270 Nm (936.7 lb.-ft.)
- Charges battery by generating power while braking or driving downhill
Omni Powertrain LV Series Electric Cartridge Motors
Omni Powertrain Technologies' LV series motors are available in two models with power ratings of 2.5 or 3.7 kW. They feature a lightweight and compact design, easing installation for OEMs while ensuring no additional weight is added to the overall vehicle design.
Features of the motors include:
- Easily integrated with Omni planetary or parallel shaft gearboxes to sustain continuous torque ratings to 7,000 Nm (5162.9 lb.-ft.)
- Suitable for range of voltages from 24-96V
- Can be supplied with range of brake and encoder options
Omni Powertrain Technologies
T/CCI Manufacturing Electric Compressors
T/CCI's range of high-voltage electric compressors are available in various power ratings to meet a range of heavy-duty vehicle and equipment designs. The 24V product, for instance, is primarily aimed at providing interior cab cooling while a vehicle's engine is off.
“Our low voltage signals can handle both 12 and 24V within the same unit, allowing OEMs that have both European and North American applications to effortlessly maintain their development programs even when voltages vary by market,” said T/CCI President Richard Demirjian, in the company's press release announcing the launch of the compressors.
Features of the electric compressors include:
- High-voltage electric designs spanning 15 cc/24V to 120 cc/850V and 2-30 kW (2.7-40.2 hp)
- High-voltage 400-850V products are designed for vehicles propelled by an electric motor in full capacity
- 120 cc/850V compressor provides battery cooling and A/C
Curtis Industries All-Steel Cab for New Holland Workmaster 25S Sub-Compact Tractor
An all-steel construction for the Curtis Industries cab helps to ensure a durable enclosure for New Holland Workmaster tractors. The ability to open the windshield and inclusion of a cab heater help to optimize comfort for operators, as well.
Several accessories are also available for the cab, such as roof mounted LED strobe lights.
Features of the cab include:
- Frame, doors and roof are constructed of corrosion-resistant powder-coat commercial-grade steel for durability and long life
- Lockable doors have full perimeter rubber seal for outstanding weather protection
- Steel roof overhangs both the doors and windshield for added protection from water intrusion
Curtis Industries LLC
Sure Grip Controls JSC CAN Series Joystick
Sure Grip Controls, a subsidiary of Bailey Hydraulics, designed its JSC CAN Series Joystick for rugged off-road equipment applications. Its IP69K and IP67 sealing ensure durability; testing has shown the joysticks to be durable to more than 5 million cycles or 20 million operations.
"This dual axis Hall effect joystick operates with all our current handles and increases our ability to support higher volume applications,” said Mark Vandersluis, Product Manager of Sure Grip Controls, in the company's press release announcing the launch of the joystick.
Features of the joystick include:
- Dual axis joystick
- Offers minimum below-panel depth
- Integrated connector
EAO Series 09 LIN Bus Switch Panel and Universal Switches
Addition of Local Interconnect Network (LIN) Bus devices to EAO's Series 09 range provides a lower cost option to CANbus-based technologies. The company says in its press release announcing the launch of its new product line that it was specially developed for demanding vehicle control applications.
“Our new LIN Bus Switch Panel is a convenient and speedy way to commission in-cab control of driver/operator comfort features such as in-cab ventilation, air conditioning and seat heating but also of important security functions such as Reset, Lock & Unlock in numerous off- and on-road vehicles,” said Robert Davies, EAO’s UK Marketing Manager, in the company's press release.
Features of the switch panel and switches include:
- Nine-switch sub assembly is quickly and easily connected up before being clipped or screwed into position
- Configurable switch assignment allows range of back-illuminated standard ISO 7000 or custom symbols to be configured to meet individual vehicle requirements
- Switch Panels can also be ordered with optional red status indicators
Grote Industries Disinfecting Light for Bus HVAC Systems
Grote has expanded beyond the lighting products it is typically known for to develop a disinfecting light to help keep bus interiors clean and safe for passengers and drivers. The UV-C disinfecting light is easy to install into an HVAC system's evaporator compartment and safely destroys microorganisms which pass through the evaporator.
The company notes in its press release announcing the launch of the disinfecting light that its years of experience developing durable lighting products for heavy-duty applications enabled it to create a new product capable of resisting vibration and moisture commonly found in bus HVAC systems.
Features of the disinfecting light include:
- Utilizes latest generation of highly efficient and reliable LEDs
- Provides a simpler and easier solution compared to mercury-vapor lamps
- Delivers 99.987% bacterial reduction and 99.98% viral reduction after just 30 seconds of exposure
Engineering & Manufacturing
Siemens Simcenter 3D 2021
Siemens Digital Industries Software's Simcenter 3D software is part of its Simcenter portfolio of simulation and test products. Simcenter 3D provides a shared engineering platform for simulation; the latest version includes enhancements to the AI-driven user experience as well as new simulation types.
According to the company's press release announcing availability of the new simulation solution, its Simcenter Multimech tool can help engineers see where cracks are developing in their designs and how it could change materials, and thus the final structure.
Features of the simulation software include:
- Includes full representative volume element (RVE) separation and 2D and 3D automatic insertion of cracks or cohesive zones in materials
- Auralization post-processing tool allows users to listen to simulated pressure results to evaluate sound quality
- Acoustics engineers can hear the noise produced from various vibrating components or products as opposed to having to visually evaluate through charts or graphs
Siemens Digital Industries Software
dSPACE MicroAutoBox III AC Motor Control Solution
The dSPACE AC Motor Control Solution is designed to help engineers with the development of converters and electric drives. A library of I/O functions representing driver functions are included which can be graphically linked to controllers via drag and drop functionality, making it an easy-to-use tool for design teams.
According to dSPACE, typical applications for this tool include development of drive controls and mechatronic components such as steering systems.
Features of the motor control solution include:
- Protocol-based encoders are supported
- Application examples include highly automated industrial plants or harvesting machines, in which low-cost electric motors are increasingly replacing complex and rigidly coupled mechanical drives
- I/O functions are based on dSPACE libraries developed for direct FPGA programming, ensuring seamless switching between AC Motor Control Solution and implementation directly on FPGA
Siemens Digital Industries Software Teamcenter Quality Software
The Teamcenter Quality software is a new suite of solutions for quality management from Siemens Digital Industries Software. It can be used by a range of departments, from design to manufacturing, ensuring quality control throughout the product development process.
“Teamcenter Quality provides a digital thread throughout the design and production phases, creating aligned workflows between quality, manufacturing and engineering teams to help improve collaboration and reduce the need for coordination,” said Dr. Raffaello Lepratti, Vice President of Business Development and Marketing for Manufacturing Operations Management at Siemens Digital Industries Software, in the company's press release announcing the launch of the software. “Creating this single source of truth for product, process and quality data can help ensure each step of the process is synchronized and compliant, while also offering traceability and a high level of transparency within the process.”
Features of the software include:
- Enables common approach to be established to manage product information and improve collaboration across a company's enterprise
- Helps keep product development, quality planning and continuous improvement processes in synchronization
- Allows engineers to set quality requirements early in design process and establish parameters required to help ensure the product realized during production phase will meet necessary quality standards
Siemens Digital Industries Software
EAO Emergency Stop Switch Configurator
EAO's Emergency Stop Switch Configurator provides design teams with an interactive virtual 3D tool which enables them to configure products to meet specific customer requirements. The configurator makes it easier for designers to select the appropriate options from the many products available in EAO's line of emergency stop switches.
The system only suggests compatible components, further easy the design and selection process for engineers.
Features of the configurator include:
- Built using extensive user experience research
- Provides useful visualization features such as real-time photorealistic 3D renderings of components and product configurations
- Designers can immediately view precise simulations of different material characteristics that affect surface texture or light reflections